Thursday, December 4, 2014

FOOD NOTES 12/4/2014 -- GUANABANA, FISH TACOS


Guanabana, aka soursop (Annona muricata)

This morning we ate a guanabana, aka soursop. It's in the same family as cherimoya, which is what my fruit man called it, but looking at photos, I think most people would call it guanabana (Annona muricata). It has seeds throughout so I ate it by the slice and spit out the seeds. Thank you fruit man for cutting one open for me and letting me taste it yesterday. I'm glad I bought one! I also just watched a video about how to make a drink out of it... may try that with the next one. There are lots of health claims with this fruit (google guanabana). But I'm happy just to eat it for the flavor!

Then at night we went out for a drink and I had a really good fish taco -- nice piece of white fish with a carrot slaw served in the taco -- who knew that carrot slaw is the secret to an excellent fish taco.

Good read today at gutmicrobiotawatch.org . If you're keeping up with all the research (and hype) about the microbiome, I recommend this article -- three scientists in the field give their appraisal of where the science world is with the research and how/whether we should be acting on the info we have:  http://www.gutmicrobiotawatch.org/seth-bordenstein-joel-dore-paul-enck-a-three-voice-debate-about-gut-microbiota-research/ Spoiler alert. It's too early for us to act on anything regarding our microbiomes. But that said, I think mine really enjoyed the guanabana and fish taco.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.