Friday, March 1, 2013

THE NO GRAZING GROOVE

One of the mistakes I made when I permanently began eating healthy was to think that I could eat as many fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts as I wanted just because they weren't junk. I felt so good about never eating anything processed and eating very little meat that I thought anything else should be open game. Wrongo.

So this year for Lent, which started Feb. 13 and goes for 40 days until Easter: NO SNACKING which means I  have to stretch the time between putting the last bite of breakfast and the next morsel into my mouth by 3 hours. That's the minimum. Today I'm meeting friends for  lunch and I estimate it'll be 3:00 before I get my first bite of food, so that will be 5 1/2 hours from the time I finished breakfast. Not that hard really, but before Lent I wouldn't even have considered it.

What's interesting is catching myself reaching for the bag of almonds on the counter or an orange. My hands seem to work directly for my stomach! Snacking is quite the diversion/time waster! It's a lot like smoking that way. Can't think of what you're supposed to do next? Better have a cig. Want to procrastinate a little longer? Have a cig... My life was like that in my late teenage years and early twenties. Then I quit. But somewhere along the way snacking became the substitute. And then healthy snacking. But no more.

The evidence is in that you need to space your food if you want to burn your excess fat. Dr. Mercola has an excellent article about it today. Please read: How Intermittent Fasting Stacks Up Among Obesity-Related Myths, Assumptions, and Evidence-Backed Facts

Even if you aren't worried about your excess fat, snacking is a pretty disruptive habit. Our world is full of snacking options... every store I go into these days, even bookstores and hardware stores, seem to have some little food option to purchase on the counter. If you're a snacker you're always faced with that decision. If you've trained yourself NOT to snack, there's no point in even looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.