Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A TALE OF TWO PARTIES

In August I went to a party where I didn't know anyone but soon ran into a chatty young woman --

Me: What do you do?

Her: I just went back to school and got my nursing degree. Now I'm looking for a job in cardio care.

Me: Really. Why cardio?
   
Her: Heart disease is on the rise, so I know I'll always have a job. Heart disease and diabetes are huge growth areas.

Me: Don't you think that's sad?

Her: It is sad, but it's good news for me.

I asked her if she'd studied the effects of sugar on obesity and heart disease in school. No, the sugar/obesity connection hadn't come up. I thought that was interesting.

Last weekend I went to a party and ran into a friend who I didn't recognize at first because he'd lost 84 lbs.!

Me: Wow! How'd you do it?

Him: I gave up sugar and started walking. 

My partner ate so many sweets, and I used to keep him company. But after he died, I quit, and I started walking up the hill outside my house every day. I couldn't go very far at first, but I'd put a rock at the point where I had to turn around, and every few days I'd move the rock a little further. Now I can walk that hill five times a day if I want. But I started very slowly. 

I am a true believer in this method. It is nothing new of course, but quitting sugar and adding exercise, lots of it, is the key, in my opinion, to success in creating and restoring health.

Now if I could just have a party where that friend meets the woman becoming a nurse. Of course, if she filled patients in on the sugar thing she might screw up her job security. It's a tough problem.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.