Friday, April 27, 2012

GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES

8/27/2012 -- I've rethought this post since listening to an interview with Dr. Richard Johnson... (see ARE YOU TELLING YOUR BODY TO STORE FAT?) Now I think s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the time between dinner and my first bite of breakfast might be a good way to burn fat... 

GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES

I'm not a race fan, but I did live in Indianapolis back in the 70's. Maybe that's why "Gentlemen, start your engines" are the words that come to mind when I wake up each morning. They remind me to eat something and drink some water before I head to the coffee pot.

I'm not hungry first thing in the morning so I used to start the day with coffee and wait to eat  until around 10 at which point I might think, "Gee, I've already burned a bunch of calories this morning, a muffin can't hurt me.."

Wrongo!  If you haven't eaten since the night before, by 10 a.m. your body has essentially been fasting for 12-18 hours. A fasting body doesn't burn fat, it conserves it. (Think sumo wrestlers... they limit themselves to two meals a day to trick their bodies into conserving as much fat as possible.) If you give your fasting body a sugary treat, it'll burn through it immediately and you'll be hungry again right away.

I still don't want a big breakfast the minute I get up, so I have a snack  --  a few stalks of asparagus left from dinner or a few almonds and some dried apricots. I drink at least one large glass of water. The food starts my metabolism, the water hydrates me so I can process the food efficiently. (Remember, coffee dehydrates.)

Later in the morning, after I've done some work or exercise, I'm ready for a real breakfast which I try to make 1 part protein, 1 part grain, 2 parts fruits and vegetables. (Ex: eggs, corn tortilla, and a green smoothie.) That's fuel my engine can run on smoothly for hours.

Other posts about breakfast: RETHINKING BREAKFAST, GREEN SMOOTHIES,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.