Thursday, June 2, 2011

CRAVINGS AND THE COMIDA CORRIDA


In Mexico the main meal of the day is called comida and it's eaten between two and four in the afternoon. Schools get out at two and many small businesses close. Lots of people take two hour comida breaks and go home to eat, returning to work from four until eight. By many standards comida is a healthy tradition.

If you can't go home for this main meal, you might very well go to a comida corrida which loosely means cheap, homemade hot lunch on the run. Typically it includes soup, plus a guisado or main course – a little meat in a sauce; or meat, beans and rice; or chili rellenos; or fish, beans, and a little salad. In addition, there are always a basket of tortillas, fresh made salsas, and to drink: agua fresca  a sweet, watery drink made with either fresh fruit, hibiscus, or rice.

The cost in Morelia for a comida corrida is thirty-five pesos which is less than $3.50. We can't put together the same meal at home for that price and for years it was our habit to pick Alice up from school at two and go to a comida corrida for lunch. There's one on our corner that's quite good. It's in the front room of a residence and run by one of our neighbor ladies. Typically her eight tables are all full and turn a number of times each afternoon.

But about this time last year we stopped going. My husband went back to the states while Alice and I had another month to stay in Morelia, and I became determined to use the time to learn vegetarian cooking. I felt Alice and I were both a little too chunky, and I blamed the comida corridas – specifically the meat, rice and all-you-can-eat tortillas. So I watched Mollie Katzen and Alice Waters videos on my computer, visited the fresh food market every day, and had a wonderful time slicing and dicing and trying out new recipes.

That was the beginning of what became the food journey year of my life, and reading back over my journal and this blog I see how many turns it has taken. I've done a ton of research and learned loads about the food industry, about cooking, about who's who in food politics and nutritional science. But what I've just figured out, what took me a whole year to figure out, what I didn't even know I was looking for is how not to be hungry.  I'd forgotten there was such a state. I knew other people weren't hungry all the time, but I just figured they were luckier than me. I assumed my hunger was part of my being.  And it was. So when it left, wow, I felt free!

I picked my hunger up again though just the other day. I'd gotten too busy to cook so we went back to the local comida corrida.  I had a very flavorful chicken consume, some breaded white fish filets, beans, salad, some tortillas and a couple glasses of agua fresca. When I left I couldn't wait to get home and chow down on some chocolate chip cookies that Alice had made. I hadn't felt that degree of craving after a meal for ages – actually since giving up the comida corridas. But this time the reason was not a mystery.

It took this whole year of reading to figure out it was never the meat or the rice or the tortillas mounting up on my hips and gut. It was the agua fresca and its effect on my hunger. Looking at recipes on the internet, I discovered that a typical agua fresca is fresh fruit + 3/4 c. sugar + 1qt. water, which is 3T. of sugar per 8 oz. of water not including the sugar in the fruit.  That's more sugar than in the same amount of Coke! And on a hot day, I could easily drink 16 - 20 oz. And all this time I've felt superior to people who drink soda. Shame on ignorant me. And once that sugar gets into my system (and when you drink it, it gets there fast) I just keep craving food – particularly sweets – the rest of the day.

So, knowing this about myself, I've stopped putting anything sweet in my mouth until late in the day. Goodbye smoothies for breakfast. Goodbye orange juice, jelly on toast, sugar on my oatmeal. I've left those seemingly reasonable habits behind in exchange for the wonderful state of not wanting to eat every piece of food I see. I'm still getting used to going to the market and not feeling compelled to buy anything besides what's on my list.  I love not being hungry!

Mexico is virtually tied with the US for fattest nation on the planet. But the truth is out now. The science all points to the drinks. And it's not just sodas, but sports drinks, iced teas, coffees, juices, and even baby formulas. Next time I visit a comida corrida, I'm packing my water. Then it really will be a remarkably healthy, homemade meal for cheap.

Other posts about this topic: Rethinking Breakfast, My Liver Goes to Camp

To watch a lecture on this subject: Sugar: The Bitter Truth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.