Tuesday, April 12, 2011

AVOCADO & COCOA MOUSSE

My friend Lucille sent me a desert recipe this week I had to try: 2 avocados cut in chunks, 1/2 cup agave nectar/syrup, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa,
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract.

Mix all together in the food processor or blender until smooth. Spoon into 4 serving dishes. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour. Serve garnished with raspberries (or strawberries or whipped cream).

I was intrigued by this recipe because it has two  local foods for Michoacan (where I am), avocado and agave, AND because I couldn't believe it would make a decent tasting desert. I am way more than pleasantly surprised. It's so good, if the family doesn't get home soon, there won't be any left.

I've already posted about all the nutrition packed in avocados.  So today I thought I'd do a little research on agave nectar.  OMG it turns out to be quite the hornet's nest.  I'm pretty sure the sugar industry is as competitive and cut-throat as it gets, and lots of the bad information has a dubious ring to it. Let me just say, I'm glad I found agave nectar, its flavor is milder than honey or maple syrup and it pours pretty easily.  No way can I get real maple syrup here, and agave syrup is going to be my new pancake topping.  If it turns out to have amazing health benefits like they've just discovered in maple syrup, I'll be pleasantly surprised.  If I find it makes me as "high as crack cocaine" or "causes acne", I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.