Friday, February 18, 2011

THANK YOU JANE BRODY

Everybody needs at least one food guru these days, someone whose opinions/advice you trust or whose recipes are in synch with your diet aspirations.   My go-to team includes:  Dr. Weil,  Michael Pollan, Mark Bittman,  George Mateljan, Alice Waters, and Marion Nestle.  I often share their articles and recipes here and on Facebook.

When the new US Dietary Food Guidelines were published a few weeks ago, a lot of my favorite food writers were pretty snarky in their reviews and frankly I didn't find their comments helpful.  So I was particularly thrilled when my son, who has only recently taken up conscientious eating, sent me this article by Jane Brody that I'd totally missed, and suggested that I share it here.  Brody was one of my first food gurus back in the 80s and I could tell by Jack's comment that she's now one of his.  There's nothing snarky about Jane.

If you're not familiar with Jane Brody, click on her name to see a list of her recent articles.

Thanks, Jack!

February 14, 2011

A Simple Map to the Land of Wholesome



For the first time since it began issuing dietary guidelines, the government offered new recommendations last month that clearly favor the health and well-being of consumers over hard-lobbying farm interests.
The new science-based Dietary Guidelines for Americans, released Jan. 31 by the Departments of Agriculture and of Health and Human Services, are comprehensive, sensible, attainable and, for most people, affordable. They offer a wide variety of dietary options to help you eat better for fewer calories without undue sacrifice of dining pleasure.
Now it’s up to consumers to act on this advice and put the brakes on runaway obesity and the chronic diseases that cost billions of dollars before they kill.
It’s a lot easier than you may think, especially if you make the adaptations gradually and avoid declaring war on every deviation from the straight and narrow. Moderation, rather than constant deprivation and denial, is the key to a wholesome diet that you can stick with and enjoy. I say this with confidence because I’ve lived this way for most of my adult life and I’ve watched my sons do the same for more than four decades.
Here is a summary of the guidelines, which combine the goals of fewer calories — and especially nutrient-poor calories from sugars, fats and refined grains — with more emphasis on nutrient-dense foods:
Eat lots more vegetables and fruits, filling half your plate with them.
Choose lean meats and poultry, and replace some of them with seafood.
Consume mainly nonfat or low-fat milk and other dairy products.
Choose low-sodium products and use less salt and salty ingredients in food preparation.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.