Wednesday, January 26, 2011

STIMULANT, STIMULANT, FOOD, FOOD, STIMULANT


If you google the definition of food, here is what you'll find:  Material, usually of plant or animal origin, that contains or consists of essential body nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals, and is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life.

I'm curious about the definition of food because a therapist friend of mine said recently.  "A lot of what we eat is to alter our brain chemistry."   I guess I knew that, but I hadn't thought of dividing the things I eat into body and brain categories.  Once I did, I began to realize just how much of my diet was actually a stimulant or depressant for my brain and not a food in the sense of nourishment for my body at all.  In fact a lot of what I consumed was harmful.


An analysis of my own diet for most of my adult life:  Days started with a few cups of stimulant, followed by a stimulant coated grain and some dairy liquid in a bowl.  Lunch was assorted foods washed down with a stimulant.  Another liquid stimulant in the afternoon with a wheat-based stimulant snack.  Before dinner I'd have a depressant liquid (maybe two)

followed by a plate containing several foods accompanied by another depressant liquid in stemware. 

Many nights after dinner there would be dessert of stimulant-infused wheat or stimulant-infused dairy.  Occasionally I wondered why I didn't sleep well, was depressed or anxious,  headachy or tired, and I would explain/blame the feelings on external occurrences like work or weather or hormones. Ridiculous.  Now that I've gone three weeks without caffeine, alcohol, sugar, wheat, or animal products my mood is completely mellow, my energy is adequate for a day's activity including plenty of exercise, and I'm sleeping well.  But it's the mellow mood that stands out the most.  To think I could've had it for so much more of my adult life... it's depressing... only it isn't because I feel pretty good so it's hard to be depressed.



It has only been 25 days since I started the Quantum Wellness Cleanse and it's officially over, but I'm hesitant to go back to my old eating patterns as much as I miss some of the old tastes and habits.  I'm so curious to see whether this mood thing will be lasting.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome- We're weeding out meat, dairy and sugar and most wheat. Caffeine and alcohol are next I suppose. As far a seafood, forget any reform for me. If I can catch it, say an honor blessing and eat it, it's good. Good going!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.