Thursday, December 16, 2010

NIGHTSHADE FAMILY SQUARE DANCE

Chile peppers and tomatoes are mainstays of the Mexican diet.  I can't imagine living without them.

This is part of a series of food paintings I'm working on.

Peppers and tomatoes are both in the nightshade family as are potatoes, tobacco, and eggplant.  Sort of a weird family, don't you think?  They're common feature are alkaloids.   Nicotine is the alkaloid in tobacco, capsaicin is the alkaloid in peppers.  Is one as addicting as the other?  Sometimes when I start eating salsa, I can't stop  even when my mouth is on fire, so maybe!

A good site on nightshade plants:  http://www.getting-started-with-healthy-eating.com/nightshade-vegetables.html 

Acrylic on canvas (32cmX32cm).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.