Sunday, October 24, 2010

RED CABBAGES AND POMEGRANATES

Red cabbage and pomegranates are two foods which always attracted my eye because they're so COLORFUL but I didn't really know how to use them, so I always stayed away.  However, here in Morelia in the San Juan market you can buy clear bags of fresh pomegranate seeds all red and juicy and I just had to buy a bag.   On the same day I also found a head of red cabbage, about the size of a small dog's head.  I grabbed it too.  And today they both appeared in probably the prettiest salad I've ever made and it tasted fabulous!

Ingredients besides green lettuce:  Mandarin orange slices cut in half, grated carrot, grated red cabbage, pomegranate seeds, candied nuts.  This was a color concept salad.  Warm colors set off by the green lettuce.   Beautiful!  

A NOTE ABOUT CANDIED NUTS:  They're great for getting non-salad eaters to enjoy a salad.  I put them in a plastic bag and smash them to bits with a hammer so they spread onto everything.   The first time I used them, Alice said,  "Always put those nuts in the salad no matter what."  (I don't always put them in mine, but I'm trying to keep them on hand to put on hers.)

A NOTE ABOUT DRESSING A SALAD: I always dress the whole salad before serving it and I always use my just-washed-and-dried hands to do the mixing.  Whether I pour a little olive oil and vinegar or a squeeze of lime and a little salt and pepper directly on the salad and then toss, or whether I premix the ingredients in a cup and pour it over, or if I use a bottled dressing,  I always get my hands in there and mix until it feels like everything is nice and coated. And I don't use a lot of dressing!  A little goes a long way as long as you take care to really mix well with your hands.

NOTE:  I buy my nuts already candied.  But there are a million recipes on line and here's a nifty little video about a very easy recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.