Friday, October 8, 2010

BEST THING I LEARNED ALL WEEK

I've been obsessing about tomatillos since my tomatillo high last week.  So it was a lovely coincidence when  perusing cooking videos on the Alice Walker Green Kitchen site (see side bar) that I came across Rick Bayless making tomatillo salsa (salsa verde).  I was so psyched to own a molcajete (Mexican mortar) and pestle.  It's just the right thing for grinding the salt into the roasted garlic.  I used really coarse salt and perhaps too much, but that salsa tasted so good I scooped the last drops of it up with stale toast.

The key to this green salsa is grilling the tomatillos, garlic, and jalapeña or serano peppers on a dry pan or on a comal until they have little black marks on them and are soft.  Then you mash the garlic with the salt, then add the chilis and the tomatillos.  At the end, Bayless mixes in some chopped onion, but I didn't.  And be careful, my Rick Bayless experience is that he makes everything a little too hot (and I like HOT).  I used about a cup of grilled tomatillos with one garlic and one serano.  It was plenty spicey.    

Definitely watch the Bayless video!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.