Friday, September 24, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: WOMEN FOOD AND GOD

The third book on dieting I read this summer was Women Food and God by Geneen Roth.  Fortunately it was in my car when I got stuck in traffic for two and a half hours in Boston.  It was 100 degrees.  My car didn't have airconditioning.  BUT I had some water, a loaf of really good bread, and this random book my step daughter had left at my house.  So instead of being miserable, I spent the time being grateful to Geneen Roth for entertaining me on a pretty grim subject -- people who think the right body shape will make them happy.  Some people have really frightening relationships with food!

Geneen Roth was one of those people.  She lost and gained over 1000 lbs. before she figured out the answer to her problem.  Once she had the answer she started helping others.  Way to go Geneen.  The book tells what it's like to go away to one of her retreats.  For one thing, before people accept the help, they get really pissed when she makes them confront their relationships to food.

Here's an insight I found fascinating:

They (compulsive dieters) are like Sisyphus pushing the boulder up the mountain but never actually arriving.
The great thing about being Sisyphus is that you have your work cut out for you.  You always have something to do.  As long as you are striving and pushing and trying hard to do something that can never be done, you know who you are:  someone with a weight problem who is working hard to be thin.  You don't have to feel lost or helpless because you always have a goal and that goal can never be reached.

You don't have to be Sisyphus to get a lot out of this book.  

And it's not really a diet book, it's an anti-diet book.

Here's Geneen Roth giving a reading.Geneen Roth, author - Women Food and God

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.